To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Subscribe Get instant access to must-read content today!To access hundreds of features, subscribe today! At a time when the world is forced to go digital more than ever before just to stay connected, discover the in-depth content our subscribers receive every month by subscribing to gasworld.Don’t just stay connected, stay at the forefront – join gasworld and become a subscriber to access all of our must-read content online from just $270.
M Heyward for the appellant; I Wicks for the Crown. R v T(D): CA (Crim Div) (Lord Justice Thomas, Mr Justice King, Judge Moss QC): 4 June 2009 The appellant (T) appealed against a conviction for grievous bodily harm with intent. A witness (X) had stated that T had confessed the incident to her immediately after it had happened. At the conclusion of her statement, she had said that she was leaving the area the following day and would not have made the statement otherwise, out of fear. She also stated that she would not attend court to give evidence. At a preliminary hearing it was made clear that X would be needed for the trial, and a witness summons was issued to the address she had provided. At that address, officers were informed that X had moved. X’s mobile phone was also called, but it was switched off. At the trial, the judge held that the Crown had taken reasonably practical steps to locate X and he allowed her statement to be read pursuant to section 116(2)(a) of the Criminal Justice Act 2003 . Held: All efforts should be made to get witnesses to court with all the necessary support, R v Horncastle (Michael Christopher)  EWCA Crim 964, Times, 3 June, 2009 applied. There was a long-standing right to confrontation in article 6 of the European Convention on Human Rights 1950, which should not be departed from lightly, and the act needed to be observed carefully. Unless there was an agreed statement of fact, a hearsay application should not proceed without evidence. In the present case, matters proceeded informally, and no attempt was made to explain what steps the Crown had taken to locate X. Therefore, there was no evidence on which the judge could have properly made a finding. If cost had been a problem, that also should have been dealt with by evidence, but there was no such evidence. The hearsay evidence was wrongly admitted. The conviction was unsafe and would be quashed. A retrial would be ordered. Appeal allowed. Admissibility – Hearsay evidence – Witnesses – Need for evidence to show reasonable steps taken
To continue enjoying Building.co.uk, sign up for free guest accessExisting subscriber? LOGIN Subscribe now for unlimited access Get your free guest access SIGN UP TODAY Stay at the forefront of thought leadership with news and analysis from award-winning journalists. Enjoy company features, CEO interviews, architectural reviews, technical project know-how and the latest innovations.Limited access to building.co.ukBreaking industry news as it happensBreaking, daily and weekly e-newsletters Subscribe to Building today and you will benefit from:Unlimited access to all stories including expert analysis and comment from industry leadersOur league tables, cost models and economics dataOur online archive of over 10,000 articlesBuilding magazine digital editionsBuilding magazine print editionsPrinted/digital supplementsSubscribe now for unlimited access.View our subscription options and join our community
Xinhua The South African Presidency on Friday urged former Public Protector Thuli Madonsela to stop attacks on President Jacob Zuma.Presidential spokesperson Bongani Ngqulunga said the Presidency is concerned about continuing public statements by the former Public Protector on matters relating to Zuma and the state capture report.Ngqulunga said Madonsela has discharged her duties and has no further role to play in the process regarding the state capture report.Madonsela’s unwarranted public attacks on Zuma are unbecoming and are not helpful, the spokesperson said.“It would be prudent therefore, for the former Public Protector to step back and allow legal and constitutional processes to unfold unhindered,” Ngqulunga said.Under an order from the High Court in Pretoria, Madonsela released the state capture report on November 2.The report sheds light on how the wealthy Gupta family used their close ties with Zuma to influence the appointment of cabinet ministers and CEOs of state-owned enterprises.On the same day, Madonsela released an audio recording of the interview she conducted with Zuma while she compiled the report during the investigation into the alleged state capture by the Guptas.On Thursday, Madonsela defended the release of the audio recording and denied it was a “leak” as reported by Gupta-owned ANN7 television channel.Madonsela said Zuma’s reason for trying to halt the release of her report was that he was not given a chance to answer allegations against him.Ngqulunga said the Presidency remains concerned as well by the leaking by Madonsela to television channel ENCA, of her discussion with Zuma.“This conduct has serious implications with regards to ethics, confidentiality and the protection of information gathered during investigations by the Office of the Public Protector,” said Ngqulunga.It is also not clear why Madonsela decided to leak only the audio recordings of the discussion with the president despite the fact that she had interviewed several witnesses, Ngqulunga said.“The president urges all parties to act as guided by the Constitution and respect the processes that are unfolding in respect of the report,” Ngqulunga added.
UK, Egypt talks continue on airport security Rwandan President Paul Kagame (left) and his Ugandan counterpart Yoweri Museveni meet at State House Entebbe on March 25, 2018. PHOTO | COURTESY Rwandan President Paul Kagame (left) and his Ugandan counterpart Yoweri Museveni meet at State House Entebbe on March 25, 2018. PHOTO | COURTESYRwandan President Paul Kagame and his Ugandan counterpart Yoweri Museveni are on Friday expected to shed more light on the political tensions affecting their countries when they meet in Angola for talks on security matters in the Great Lakes.According to local news agencies, both President Museveni and Kagame will attend the one-day Quadripartite Summit in the Angolan capital, Luanda, on an invitation by Angolan President João Lourenço.Kampala and Kigali have been feuding since 2017 leading to a breakdown in relations early this year that affected the flow of goods and people across their common border.Rwanda accuses Uganda of supporting rebels and dissidents opposed to Kagame’s government, a charge that Museveni denies.Uganda also accuses Kigali of conducting espionage on its soil and infiltrating its security apparatus.The DRC armed rebel situation is also likely to be on the table as the country borders all the three countries that will be represented at the summit. Congolese President Felix Tshisekedi is also expected to attend the function.Rwanda, Angola and Uganda host millions of Congolese refugees.The four heads of state are also expected to discuss the Ebola crisis in eastern DR Congo which has claimed over 1,600 people, according to the World Health Organisation.Related Museveni visits Kenya for bilateral talks with Kenyatta Egyptian President in Greece for energy, security talks
The House version of the 2018 Farm Bill (the Agriculture and Nutrition Act of 2018) was narrowly approved by the full House, 213-211, largely along party lines, on June 21. Dairy provisions were untouched from an earlier version of the farm bill voted down in the House in April. The Senate’s version of the 2018 Farm Bill (the Agriculture Improvement Act of 2018) is expected to be considered by the full Senate in in late June or early July.advertisementadvertisementFor the most part, dairy provisions of each bill are similar, but there are differences related to the premium structure and the flexibility to make changes in annual coverage selections under a revised and renamed Margin Protection Program for Dairy (MPP-Dairy).Read: What’s in it for you: Senate, House 2018 Farm Bill dairy proposals compared. Progressive Dairyman also provided an audio summary of dairy provision differences for Dairy Radio Now.Once approved in the Senate, differences between the two bills must be reconciled by a congressional conference committee before a final version is developed. The current farm bill expires Sept. 30, 2018.Following House passage, U.S. Rep. Collin Peterson (D-Minnesota), ranking member of the House Agriculture Committee, said he looked forward to a House-Senate conference committee.“The only upside to its passage is that we’re one step closer to conference, where it’s my hope that cooler heads can and will prevail,” Peterson said. “The Senate’s version isn’t perfect, but it avoids the hardline partisan approach that House Republicans have taken, and if it passes, I look forward to working with conferees to produce a conference report both parties can support, which is the only way to get a farm bill enacted into law.”advertisementDairy groups applaud House bill“While there are a few issues that will need to be addressed when the House reconciles its version of the farm bill with the one the Senate is considering, we are pleased that the process continues to move forward with this vote,” said Jim Mulhern president and CEO of the National Milk Producers Federation (NMPF).In addition to dairy policy, Mulhern said the House bill also addressed several other NMPF priorities. The conservation title will help producers access technical and financial assistance to carry out multiple conservation practices on their land and water. The bill includes an amendment to increase the emphasis on nutrient recovery technologies within the conservation title.Under the trade title, the 2018 Farm Bill authorizes the trade promotion programs that are critical to dairy farmers and their cooperatives. The bill also features helpful provisions intended to increase fluid milk consumption, including an amendment to expand the varieties of milk offered in schools.“Farmers need the certainty that a farm bill provides, so we are encouraged that the House took this critical step in moving the process forward,” said Brody Stapel, president of the board of directors for Edge Dairy Farmer Cooperative and eastern Wisconsin dairy farmer. “Tariffs, trade negotiations, immigration and other issues of late have kept the ground shaking for many dairy farmers and others in the agricultural community. Reauthorizing a farm bill would bring much-needed stabilization.”The head of the International Dairy Foods Association (IDFA) said the House farm bill would allow greater access to risk management tools for dairy foods companies and farmers to address price fluctuations. The bill also would improve the safety net for dairy farmers, provide retail incentives under the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) to promote milk purchases for healthier diets and require the government to finalize a rule that would allow schools to serve low-fat flavored milk, according to Michael Dykes, IDFA president and CEO. Dave NatzkeEditorProgressive DairymanEmail Dave Natzkedave@progressivepublish.comadvertisement
[av_one_full first min_height=” vertical_alignment=” space=” custom_margin=” margin=’0px’ padding=’0px’ border=” border_color=” radius=’0px’ background_color=” src=” background_position=’top left’ background_repeat=’no-repeat’ animation=”][av_heading heading=’ PH snares 20 Para Games golds, lands 5th place ‘ tag=’h3′ style=’blockquote modern-quote’ size=’30’ subheading_active=’subheading_below’ subheading_size=’15’ padding=’10’ color=” custom_font=”]BY ADRIAN STEWART CO[/av_heading][av_textblock size=” font_color=” color=”]Monday. September 25, 2017[/av_textblock][av_textblock size=” font_color=” color=”]MANILA – While it fell short of its 27 gold medal prediction, the Philippine delegation still had a much-improved fifth place finish in the 9th ASEAN Para Games in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Josephine Medina delivered the country’s 20th and final gold medal on Saturday as she toppled Suwarti of Indonesia 12-10, 10-12, 11-9, 11-9 in the women’s table tennis finale at the Bukit Jalil National Stadium.Ahead two sets to one and at match point at 10-9, Medina scored a soft forehand that hit the top of the net and landed on the board for the game-winner after the lady umpire called it a point for the Philippines.Suwarti and her coach didn’t like the call, saying the ball bounced on the table just once, not twice. But after a consultation with the scorer and a higher tournament official, the decision stuck.“They (Suwarti and her coach) told me the call was wrong,” said Medina. “But I told them it was not my fault and call. It was the umpire who made the decision, and we should respect it.”Medina, a bronze medalist in the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Paralympics, will go home with two medals, including the team bronze alongside Minnie de Ramos in the higher S9-S10 class.The Para Games officially ended on Saturday evening.Team Philippines ended its campaign in fifth place with 20 gold, 20 silver and 29 bronze medals – a significant improvement to its 16-17-26 medal haul and seventh place finish in the 2015 Singapore edition.“We went home with 20 golds – four more than what we took home from Singapore. And that’s all that matters,” said Team Philippines chef de mission Ral Rosario. “It was still a proud accomplishment.”“We’re hosting the 10th ASEAN Para Games two years from now, and we have to start the preparations as soon as we get back,” said Michael Barredo, newly elected president of the Philippine Paralympic Committee./PN[/av_textblock][/av_one_full]
Tournament DrawsPENSACOLA, Fla. – The University of West Florida tennis teams will host the 2015 USTA/ITA Division II South Region Championships this weekend at the Ralph “Skeeter” Carson Tennis Complex on the campus of UWF and at the Roger Scott Tennis Center. A total of 14 schools from the Gulf South Conference and the Sunshine State Conference will represent the south region at the tournament.Each men’s and women’s singles and doubles champion will advance to the 2015 USTA/ITA National Small College Championships at the Palmetto Tennis Center in Sumter, South Carolina on October 15-18.The doubles competition will kick off the tournament on Friday, September 25 at the Ralph “Skeeter” Carson Tennis Complex with the women’s doubles starting at 8 a.m. and the men’s doubles beginning at 9 a.m. The men’s singles competition will follow at the same site on Friday while the women’s singles will compete at the Roger Scott Tennis Center with both flights beginning at 12:30 p.m. No. 12 Alex Peyrot (Castelnaudary, France) will compete for the Argonauts this weekend in singles to start his junior campaign. No. 36 Kenny Brasil (Apucarana, Brazil) will also be competing in singles for UWF in his senior season, and will team up with Peyrot to compete in doubles. Brasil and Peyrot finished the 2015 season ranked No. 16 in the nation as a doubles team. Rounding out the singles field for the UWF men’s tennis team will be juniors Douglas Boe (Vinhedo, Brazil) Pedro Dumont (Brasilia, Brazil), while fellow junior Pedro Roese (Novo Hamburgo, Brazil) and sophomore Sebastian Sanchez (Bogotá, Colombia) will be the second doubles team competing for West Florida this weekend. On the women’s side, seniors Nina Bubelova (Povazska Bystrica, Slovakia) and Katarina Dikosavljevic (Queensland, Australia) will be competing in singles and as a team in doubles. Senior Sarai Flores (Mexico City, Mexico) and sophomore Erica Lilja Eriksson (Kristinehamn, Sweden) will compete for the Argonauts in the singles competition while senior Giovanna Patitucci (Sao Paulo, Brazil) and Valeria Mantilla (Bogotá, Colombia) will be the second doubles team competing for UWF over the weekend.The Ralph “Skeeter” Carson Tennis Complex is located on the campus of UWF, while the Roger Scott Tennis Center is located at 2130 Summit Boulevard in Pensacola, Florida.For information on all UWF athletics, visit www.GoArgos.com. #ARGOS# Print Friendly Version