■ One new approach to serving a market, is the Sharing Model. It starts, McCarthy said, with the notion that “Anything I’m interested in, people who are interested in me will also be interested in.” Based on that, then share what you have, as you get it. “Go into the market,” McCarthy said. “We have people who are knowledgeable. Let them go find things out and share them with greater frequency. It’s a level of confidence. Instead of having everything you learn go into a funnel to be produced in a magazine or as a Web site, share as it happens frequently, in an unproduced manner.”■ There is a meaningful increase in brand vibrancy just by building a digital network. It doesn’t take costly Web design, or expensive SEO. Use Facebook, Twitter, and use the entire workforce, whether sales, editorial, production, circulation or more. Instead, use high-frequency content updates by all staff. At the recent Niche Digital event in Minneapolis, keynoter and Network Communications Inc. CEO Dan McCarthy offered a wealth of takeaway quotes. Among them: ■ There are two indisputable realities in the media world these days, and we need to adjust accordingly. First, readers and users of our products are increasingly distracted and have abundant alternative sources of information. And second, advertisers want to spend less money.■ The world is post-digital. If the IT person or the CIO is driving your Web strategies, you’re going for a ride. The truth is that technology just works. We don’t care how an iPhone or BlackBerry does what it does, we are not engaged with the technology behind devices, we just assume they will work. Instead, consumer behavior is the real driver and that’s what company leaders should focus on.■ A true premise, from which business strategy should evolve: “If you increase the channels of engagement with a market, you enhance yourselves and offer more marketing solutions.”
House lawmakers approved two amendments of interest to defense communities — one that would provide funding for an East Coast missile defense site and one that would prohibit a new BRAC round — as part of the fiscal 2016 Military Construction-Veterans Affairs spending bill the chamber approved Thursday. Language allocating $30 million for the planning, design and construction of an East Coast missile defense site was offered by freshman Rep. Elise Stefanik (R-N.Y), whose district includes Fort Drum.Last year, the Defense Department said it would prepare environmental impact statements at four locations, including Fort Drum, N.Y., to determine a potential site to host ground-based interceptors to protect the East Coast. The department’s effort to identify an East Coast missile defense site follows Congress’ direction to study at least three potential sites, including at least two on the East Coast. DOD, however, has made no decision to proceed with construction of a new missile defense site, and officials do not believe it is necessary.The other three sites the department is studying are: Naval Air Station Portsmouth SERE Training Area, Maine; Camp Ravenna Joint Training Center, Ohio; and Fort Custer Training Center, Mich.Lawmakers also approved by voice vote an amendment that would prohibit the use of funds from the milcon spending bill to implement a new BRAC round. The provision was introduced by another Republican freshman, Rep. John Ratcliffe (Texas). Dan Cohen AUTHOR
[Representational image]Creative CommonsThe National Investigation Agency (NIA) has booked three more Keralites for their alleged involvement in terrorist activities. As per reports, the booked people are Abubacker Siddique and Ahmed Arafath hailing from Kasargode, and Mohammed Faizal from Karunagapally. NIA believes that they were in regular touch with Riyaz Aboobacker, a man from Muthalamada who was arrested recently for his alleged connections with the ISIS.The investigation agency also informed the court that these three people have tried to propagate the ideologies of Islamic State in Kerala. It has been also reported to the court that Riyaz Aboobacker has planned to carry out suicidal attacks in the state during the times of festivals.All these arrests were made by the NIA after the Easter blasts in Sri Lanka. The rising number of Keralites who believe in extreme religious thoughts indicate that the state is slowly emerging as the hotbed of terrorism. A couple of years back, two families from Palakkad, who converted to Islam from Christian, had gone to Syria for participating in Jihad.Shockingly, Riyaz Aboobacker hails from a poor family in the Muthalamada village, Palakkad. The young man was apparently radicalized a couple of years back by Abdul Rashid, an ISIS commander who is currently operating from Syria. It should be noted that an audio clip sent by Rashid from Syria had gone viral on social media a year back.In the spine chilling audio, Abdul Rashid urged Islamic extremists to wipe out non-believers from the planet. He also asked his followers to use trucks and ram into festivals like Kumbh Mela and Thrissur Pooram.Even in the midst of these developments, Pinarayi Vijayan, the Kerala chief minister has not issued a statement about the continuous arrests made on the state. The silence of the Kerala chief minister has irked certain section of people, especially Sangh Parivar workers, and they claim that Vijayan is maintaining silence just for the sake of minority appeasement.
A teenage girl succumbed to her burn injuries at Dhaka Medical College Hospital Saturday morning after she was allegedly set on fire on charge of stealing a mobile phone in Shibpur upazila of Narsingdi on Friday evening.The deceased is Aziza, 15, daughter of a certain Abdus Sattar, from Khainkur area of the upazila.Victim’s brother Sujon said, “A mobile phone of one of our neighbours was stolen around 8-10 days ago. The neighbour and her relatives suspected Aziza’s involvement and threatened her to burn if she didn’t return the phone within a week.”He said, “Some people picked up Aziza from behind of our house around 8:00pm Friday evening and took her to a place a few hundred yards away. Then, they had set her on fire after pouring kerosene on her body.”“Locals rescued her and took to a local hospital. Then we brought her to Dhaka Medical College Hospital from there in that night as her condition deteriorated,” victim’s brother added.Later, she succumbed to her injuries at the burn unit on Saturday morning.The victim sustained 96 per cent burn injuries, said DMCH police outpost assistant sub-inspector Bachchu Mia.
Priyanka Govil is an artist who invests her creative energies into painting landscapes. But interestingly her works are not about landscapes as landscapes or landscapes in art history. Her work, basically reflects various natural and man-made things around her. Showing human tendency towards nature has become her major concern lately. In the conventional sense her works are not landscapes. But each time one looks at her works, one could see the places that exist somewhere in nature. They could be mental projections of the viewer or they could be the collective memories of her journeys. Also Read – ‘Playing Jojo was emotionally exhausting’In her up-coming exhibition, at Art Konsult, her work will emphasis on importance of natural elements and intervention of man-made elements in a natural space. The fascination towards open spaces is a key point in her works. She considers these works as transformation stages where she merges landscapes with objects or shapes; treating them as part of a positive space. She treats them as cultural images representing social surroundings.The use of surface texture plays another signature role in her work. In the landscapes and with the use of various other elements, she prefers to reduce the subjective elements to minimum details like adding lights to a particular section, just to suggest their presence. And these depictions become her way of telling stories.
Kolkata: The BJP Yuva Morcha today said they are yet to receive any communication from the Kolkata Police regarding permission for BJP President Amit Shah’s proposed rally here on August 11. Yuva Morcha state president Debjit Sarkar told PTI that they have submitted a formal application to police, seeking permission for Shah’s rally. He said they will move court if police deny permission. “We submitted an application to police yesterday, seeking permission for the rally. We have mentioned five venues in Kolkata for the meeting, but police are yet to give us permission. We need time to prepare for the rally,” he said. Police’s reaction was not available immediately.