Franklin Mint sold to private investors

first_img 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESurfer attacked by shark near Channel Islands calls rescue a ‘Christmas miracle’“The Franklin Mint is the crown jewel of our industry,” Malamud said in an interview. “It’s a great opportunity to take this brand from its current status and build it up to the great name that it once was and even beyond that.” Malamud said his group reached an agreement with the previous owners, privately held Roll International Corp. in Los Angeles, last year. The sale closed on Aug. 31. Franklin Mint’s current headquarters west of Philadelphia will move to an as yet undecided location, Malamud said. Company officials declined to say how many people work at the Franklin Mint. In 2003, it laid off 200 workers, leaving it with about 100 employees. PHILADELPHIA – The Franklin Mint, once the world’s largest maker of collectibles, was sold to private investors for an undisclosed price. The group led by executives from The Morgan Mint, based in Hicksville, N.Y., made the purchase in August and announced it on Tuesday. Founded in 1964 by Joseph Segel, who also started QVC Inc., The Franklin Mint is known for its detailed figures and other products featuring celebrities such as Elvis, Princess Diana and Marilyn Monroe. M. Moshe Malamud and Steven Sisskind, chairman and chief executive, respectively, of coin and stamp marketing company The Morgan Mint, will hold the same positions at the Franklin Mint. last_img read more

Christina Aguilera Disses “The Voice”, and Says She’ll Never Be Back

first_imgQuote, “I’d just take everything off . . . the makeup, all of it . . . and I’d blast hip-hop, or Nirvana, ‘Creep’, Slayer . . . anything like that to get me out of that zone, that TV mode.” “Billboard” asked her when she’d return, and she said she’d rather talk about, quote, “positive things.” But apparently, she was in the mood to rant.  She said, quote, “[‘The Voice’] became something that I didn’t feel was what I had signed up for in Season One.  You realize it’s NOT about music.  It’s about making good TV moments and massaging a story. “I didn’t get into this business to be a TV show host and be given all these [rules].  Especially as a female:  You can’t wear this, can’t say that.  I’d find myself on that show desperately trying to express myself through clothing or makeup or hair.”center_img She also called “The Voice” an “energy sucker” and a, quote, “churning hamster wheel.”  And she said that during her last season, she was “longing for freedom” when she went home every night. CHRISTINA AGUILERA was one of the original coaches on “The Voice”, and she did six of the first 10 seasons.  She hasn’t been on since the spring of 2016 . . . and she does NOT want to come back.last_img read more

Google to Make History with Exclusive Animated Internet Series?

first_imgGoogle is getting some serious press, support, and power from Hollywood today. According to the New York Times, Google will be bringing on Seth MacFarlane, creator of the hilarious TV series “Family Guy”, to work on a secret animated series called “Seth MacFarlane’s Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy.” While that’s nothing short of exciting, Google’s distribution plan for the project is causing heads to turn.The Distribution PlanApparently, the plan is going to involve a lot of of work will use Google’s Adsense advertising system and the Google Content Network to run the series. Tags:#Google#web “Google will syndicate the program using its AdSense advertising system to thousands of Web sites that are predetermined to be gathering spots for Mr. MacFarlane’s target audience, typically young men. Instead of placing a static ad on a Web page, Google will place a “Cavalcade” video clip. “There will be numerous strategies used for incorporating the advertisements into the clips including “preroll” ads, which will remind viewers of a commercial, banners at the bottom of the video clip, or a “brought to you by” note at the beginning.The Animated SeriesThe series will be exclusive to the internet alone. The series will also include a new line-up of characters and will be 50 episodes that are two-minutes each. MacFarlane describes the episodes as, “animated versions of the one-frame cartoons you might see in The New Yorker, only edgier.” MacFarlane will receive a percentage of the advertising revenues and will also work with advertisers to provide original animated commercials to run with “Cavalcade” for a hefty fee. There’s no word yet on who’s signed-up for the deal.Why is This a Big Deal?If Google succeeds, this could become the premier internet business model for Hollywood to look into. With a multimillion-dollar production price tag and a high-profile Hollywood celeb, Google could make history, while making Hollywood’s dreams come true. This pay day could be huge for both sides of this fence if Google succeeds. 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market Related Posts Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… corvida 1last_img read more

Santon adds to Roma injury crisis?

first_img Watch Serie A live in the UK on Premier Sports for just £11.99 per month including live LaLiga, Eredivisie, Scottish Cup Football and more. Visit: https://subscribe.premiersports.tv/ Davide Santon could have added to Roma’s injury crisis after the defender trained apart from the squad with the flu. Roma already have seven players out, but that risks becoming eight if Santon does not recover by the time they release their squad list for tomorrow’s Europa League match with Borussia Monchengladbach. Elsewhere, Cengiz Under and Henrikh Mkhitaryan continued to work away from the first team and Corriere dello Sport also considers them doubtful to face Milan this weekend. Every precaution is still being taken with Edin Dzeko, who trained on Wednesday with a protective mask.last_img read more

Officials must stop taking fans for a ride

first_imgApart from the F1 race, another “extraordinary” sporting event took place in the last few days but no one seems to have taken note of it. It was the constitution of a ‘high powered monitoring committee’ and a ‘marketing committee’ by a ‘proactive’ Indian Olympic Association (IOA) for the 2012 Olympics.Among the few who have fearlessly come out with their candid opinions on F1 is legendary athlete P. T. Usha. She feels that millions of rupees were shamelessly wasted on an event which is not considered a sport by many people. A huge but silent majority of Indian sports fans also feel the same, but unfortunately they are neither heard nor seen.The other event, the constitution of the two IOA committees, is actually nothing but old wine in an old bottle with a redesigned label. Here, too, the vast majority of fans are silent. It seems activities such as these are nothing but a charade in the name of preparing for the Olympics.It’s an absolute shame that a country that aspires to better its 2008 performance at the next Olympics can be so lackadaisical in preparing its athletes.With less than nine months left for the London Games to begin, the IOA continues to constitute committees, giving an impression that it is an amazingly proactive body. Its officials know fully well that they would get away with this farce, like on earlier occasions!Poor fans are now used to this fouryearly routine for the Olympics or any other big sporting event like the Asian Games or the Commonwealth Games. Over the decades, a majority of them have silently tolerated sports administrators. And there is no end in sight to this cycle.advertisementThe only ray of hope is the proposed new sports policy. It’s a legislation that broadly aims to bring in transparency and accountability in administration and selection of athletes. But some well-connected officials are hell bent on ensuring that the policy is scuttled. They are the same people whose shops, running on expired licences, would close, if the policy is executed.While grandiosely announcing the formation of the ‘monitoring committee’, Malhotra made a very clever politician- like statement. He said: “Now more sportspersons will have to share the responsibility in training and preparing the teams for international events.”Take a closer close look at the statement. It vaguely says “more sportspersons will have to”, and doesn’t guarantee anything. Make no mistake, the veteran politician has, in no way, promised that sportspersons would indeed become part of administration.Indian Olympic Association secretary general Randhir Singh.THE PEOPLE who comprise the monitoring committee have been there since time immemorial. Malhotra himself (who else?) is chairman, IOA secretary general Randhir Singh is vicechairman, K. P. Singh Deo is the convener. In addition to these, the committee has the president/ secretary of every sports federation whose athletes qualify for the Olympics and one sportsperson as an “athlete representative” from each such federation. That all top officials are hand in glove has been proven in the past by documents dug out through RTI queries, but there’s no hint that this vicious circle would stop soon.Since ambiguity is the hallmark of sports administration. Will Malhotra answer these questions (before the Olympics are over): Who will select the athletes for the monitoring committee? Will athletes be allowed to have a say in front of such an overpowering company, if they are called for meetings? Can he guarantee that athletes would be allowed to speak their minds? Assuming they do, will their suggestions be minuted and implemented for the 2012 Olympics? Malhotra doesn’t promise any of this in his statement.Malhotra, who is running the IOA only because Suresh Kalmadi is in jail due to his alleged role in financial irregularities related to the Delhi CWG, said a marketing committee has also been set up. Who all comprise this committee? Yes, you are right. They are people who have been in sports administration for decades.Someone wondered if it isn’t too early to constitute such committees? After all, there are still about nine months left for the Olympics!  ===Prabhakar vs players row began last season Manoj PrabhakarThe sacking of coach Manoj Prabhakar two days before Delhi’s first Ranji Trophy was not a knee-jerk reaction. Chetan Chauhan, who holds multiple positions in the Delhi and District Cricket Association (DDCA), says that the genesis of the Prabhakar- versusplayers controversy goes back to the beginning of the last season. DDCA vice- president Chauhan, also chairman of the senior selection committee and the ad- hoc sports working committee, said that the problem for Prabhakar, who has been suspended “for bad behaviour with the players and selectors”, began with the T20 Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy 2010.Although Chauhan didn’t specify the exact reasons, DDCA sources say that the choice of players was the main cause for the friction that eventually led to Prabhakar’s outburst. His adverse media comments on the players was made the pretext for his axing. Over the years, people have gotten away with making even stronger observations. Prabhakar, according to sources, was keen on playing pacer Vikas Tomar, but the selectors didn’t agree. They say that the former allrounder had “promised” Tomar that he would be included this season and that his outburst against some other players was an act of frustration on not getting the bowler he wanted.advertisementPrabhakar, who had told Mail Today before the controversy erupted that he was keeping an eye on some youngsters, still claims that Tomar was shaping up well in the nets for the Ranji Trophy. ===India’s feuding hockey bodies indulging in brazen foul play The WSH has added another dimension to the morass India’s hockey administration is in at present.The battle to wrest power in Indian hockey has become increasingly murky. The source of the anonymous emails containing confidential documents related to the Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) that have been leaked to the media, is slowly becoming clear. All the mails are aimed at exposing the private and confidential correspondence of the IHF.IHF’s only competition in the race for attaining the status of the game’s national federation is Hockey India. So, observers say that there should be little doubt as to who is revealing the IHF’s cards by circulating its correspondence with the sports ministry, the International Hockey Federation (FIH), and other parties. Or, is there a well-disguised Hockey India mole working with the IHF, who is selectively leaking documents?These days, all the emails emanate from an ID called ‘chak de India’; earlier, it was another ID. A few days ago, this anonymous sender emailed the entire power point presentation of the IHF’s World Series Hockey (WSH). It contained, amongst other details, the financial figures of a competition that is not sanctioned by the FIH, and the cities in the fray etc. The WSH itself has added another dimension to the morass India’s hockey administration is in at present.Interestingly, the IHF doesn’t seem too worried even after the regular leaks that have been going on for over a year. At a recent meeting, apparently there was no mention of the WSH power point presentation that was leaked to the media. ===Empty stands at the Ferozeshah Kotla.The first Test between India and West Indies opened to empty stands at the Ferozeshah Kotla on Sunday. That was to be expected, especially after the seats didn’t get filled in the five venues where the ODIs against England were held recently. So, it was hardly a surprise that not many Delhi fans were willing to buy tickets for the Test. A local court had ruled that a maximum of 15,000 passes could be distributed for this match, but only about 8,000 turned up on the first day. Does it mean that even pass holders are not interested (assuming all passes have been distributed)?advertisementlast_img read more

Women: Inspiration & Enterprise Symposium

first_img ShareEmailPrint To learn more, read: Posted on September 13, 2010November 13, 2014Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)White Ribbon Alliance presents the 1st Annual Women Inspiration & Enterprise (WIE) symposium which will be held next Monday, September 20th 2010 in New York City, NY. The symposium coincides with the Clinton Global Initiative and the UN General Assembly.  This full-day symposium will be hosted by Sarah Brown, Arianna Huffington, and Donna Karan. Speakers include Queen Rania, Ashley Judd, and Melinda Gates. The event will include high profile guests drawn from the worlds of politics, philanthropy, media, fashion and the arts.  Proceeds from the event will benefit the White Ribbon Alliance for Safe Motherhood, as well as partner non-profits The symposium will be a new annual event which hopes to build a powerful network of women working together to achieve social change and inspire the next generation of women leaders and advocates.The symposium will be held at the Skylight West located at 500 West 36th Street, New York, NY 10018.  For further information on the event and ticket sales please click here.Share this:last_img read more

Merry Christmas From Touch Football Australia

first_imgOn behalf of the Touch Football Australia (TFA) Board of Management and staff, I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for their contribution to our sport over the 2012 year. As an organisation, we are extremely proud of everything that has been achieved and look forward to the challenges that lie ahead in 2013. In particular, I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of the staff for their ongoing enthusiasm, professionalism and dedication to the goals we have set for Touch Football. The TFA office will be closed from Friday, 21 December 2012 until Wednesday, 2 January 2013. Please be aware only limited staff will return at this time and this may result in a delay to your enquiries. We wish all of those involved in our game a safe and enjoyable Christmas period and a well-deserved break. See you for what promises to be an amazing 2013.Merry Christmas and a happy new year. Colm MaguireChief Executive Officer – Touch Football AustraliaRelated LinksMerry Xmas From TFAlast_img read more

10 months agoMan City management make January market decision

first_imgMan City management make January market decisionby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveManchester City are willing to go through January without adding to Pep Guardiola’s squad.Last season’s champions City have fallen behind the Reds in this season’s title race after losing two games on the bounce against Crystal Palace and Leicester City respectively.But The Times says City have no plans to enter the transfer market when it opens next week.Both Guardiola and the Citizens board believe they can catch Liverpool and retain their Premier League crown. TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

15 days agoAlisson the world’s best says Liverpool coach Achterberg

first_imgAlisson the world’s best says Liverpool coach Achterbergby Ansser Sadiq15 days agoSend to a friendShare the loveLiverpool coach John Achterberg believes that keeper Alisson Becker is the best in the world.The Brazilian is the club’s no.1 shot stopper and contributed significantly to their Champions League win last season.He pulled off several big game saves to ensure the Reds were shutting out the opposition. And Achterberg believes he is the best in the world in his position.”It is tough for me to say as a goalkeeper coach but it’s definitely how I see it [he is the best],” says Achterberg to the Liverpool Echo.”I think he has been the most consistent if you look at all the goalkeepers around, that is the truth. “Now we try to maintain it and keep it like this for the next five or six years. He has set his targets and we try to push it that way, that is the plan.” About the authorAnsser SadiqShare the loveHave your saylast_img read more

Womens Basketball Jennifer Sullivan joins coaching staff

Former Missouri State assistant coach and recruiting coordinator Jennifer Sullivan is joining the Ohio State women’s basketball team as an assistant coach after spending five seasons with the Lady Bears, Ohio State announced Friday. In her five seasons in Springfield, she helped lead the Lady Bears to 93 wins and four postseason appearances, making the NCAA Tournament in 2016. “I am really excited to add Jennifer to our staff,” Ohio State head coach Kevin McGuff said in a press release. “Her basketball knowledge and her diverse background will be a great asset as we continue to build a championship program.”From 2001-2005, Sullivan was a three-year starter at Memphis, recording 800 points, 310 rebounds and 99 steals during her career. “I’d like to thank coach McGuff for giving me this opportunity and I am excited to join the Ohio State women’s basketball program,” Sullivan said in a press release. “His brand of basketball is fun and exciting and I can’t wait to add my skills to the staff and help continue the success the team has enjoyed in recent seasons.”Prior to her coaching stint at Missouri State, Sullivan was the associate head coach and the recruiting coordinator at the University of Louisiana Lafayette from 2012-2013. Also, she spent three seasons as an assistant at Arkansas State. read more