Governor rakes in funding

first_img AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORESurfer attacked by shark near Channel Islands calls rescue a ‘Christmas miracle’Schwarzenegger has done it despite having voter-imposed contribution limits on some of his campaign committees that Davis did not face until the 2003 recall campaign. “Schwarzenegger has raised an average of $95,000 a day, which dwarfs the amount of money Davis raised,” said Carmen Balber, a consumer advocate for the Santa Monica-based Foundation for Taxpayer and Consumer Rights, which tracks Schwarzenegger’s campaign contributions and has been one of his biggest critics. Schwarzenegger also has funneled $23.7 million of his own money into his campaigns, which have included his unsuccessful efforts to pass four ballot measures in last year’s special election. Angelides, a multimillionaire Sacramento land developer, has raised nearly $32.9 million since 2003, about 71 percent of which has come from donors who have given him at least $10,000. Those large contributors fall mainly into four groups: labor unions, attorneys, developers and fellow Greek- Americans. SACRAMENTO – When he ran for governor during the 2003 recall election, Arnold Schwarzenegger described the Capitol as a place where “special interests have a stranglehold. The money comes in, favors go out, the people lose.” Even as the governor says he is not returning favors for cash, the money has been flooding in since he rose from Hollywood celebrity to chief executive of the nation’s most populous state. An exhaustive review of campaign finance records by The Associated Press reveals that Schwarzenegger is on pace to become the most prolific fundraiser in California history. He has raised $113.4 million in the little more than three years since he launched his campaign to replace Democrat Gray Davis, who often was accused of having a “pay to play” approach to governing that favored his donors. That amount is nearly as much as the $120 million Davis raised over seven years for two gubernatorial campaigns and to fight the recall effort. It also is more than three times as much as Schwarzenegger’s Democratic opponent in Tuesday’s election, state Treasurer Phil Angelides, has received during roughly the same period. Angelides’ contribution totals do not include $18.7 million in independent support. That money came from unions and his longtime mentor, Sacramento developer Angelo Tsakopoulos and Tsakopoulos’ daughter, who have spent it on their own campaigns supporting his candidacy. Schwarzenegger has raised his campaign money in large part by mining board rooms and executive suites from the Silicon Valley to Wall Street, the AP analysis shows. About 75percent of his donations have come from contributors who have given him at least $10,000. Most of that money has come from businesses and business executives. Spanish-language television magnate Jerry Perenchio, Stockton developer and San Diego Chargers owner Alex Spanos and William Robinson, founder of the DHL courier service, each have given the governor more than $2 million. Mortgage lender Ameriquest Capital Corp.; the California Republican Party; Henry Nicholas, chairman of NS Holdings LLC; and B. Wayne Hughes, chairman of Public Storage Inc., have chipped in more than $1million apiece. Chevron Texaco Corp. and Texas oil tycoon T. Boone Pickens are among those who have contributed more than $500,000. Despite the donations from corporations and the wealthy, Schwarzenegger has said repeatedly that no special interest has a stranglehold on him. “I cannot be bought by anyone, and anyone who gives me money buys into that philosophy,” he told the San Francisco Chronicle editorial board recently. Vince Sollitto, a spokesman for the California Chamber of Commerce and a former Schwarzenegger spokesman, explained the contributions by saying, “The governor has consistently run and governed on an agenda of economic growth, and employers in California are naturally supportive of that.” Schwarzenegger’s critics complain that the amount of his contributions shows that he failed to follow through on his campaign promise to weaken the power of wealthy special interests. They contend that wealthy special interests have even more influence these days at the Capitol. “Money has always been important in California politics,” said Ned Wigglesworth, a spokesman for California Common Cause, a campaign reform group. “But I think it’s fair to say that under Schwarzenegger’s watch it’s become even more dominant than it was in the past.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!last_img read more

Jasmine Dooney & Bourke Bags Available in Parks and Online

first_imgFoldover crossbody, $178.00Satchel, $228.00The large tote is priced at $298.00. But remember that you may qualify for discounts if you’re an annual passholder, DVC member, or use a Disney Visa card. Always ask at the register. What do you think of these new bags? Will you add one to your Dooney & Bourke collection? Or are they not your cup of tea? Let us know in the comments. Photos: Christina Harrison Share This!There’s a new collection of Jasmine themed Dooney & Bourke bags available in the Disney Parks and on shopDisney.com. We found ours at Uptown Jewelers on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom, but they will be available in many locations. last_img read more

Photo library: Tourism and leisure 8

first_img{loadposition tc}Click on a thumbnail for a low-resolution image, or right-click on the link below it to download a high-resolution copy of the image.» Download Tourism & Leisure contact sheet (1.1MB) » Download full image library contact sheet (10.5MB) Cape Town, Western Cape province: Luxury apartments look onto the marina at the V & A Waterfront, a mixed-use shopping, hotel, business and residential development set in a working harbour.Photo: Rodger BoschMediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Cape Town, Western Capeprovince: The cable car up Table Mountain.Photo: Mary Alexander, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Cape Town, Western Cape province: Hout Bay. Photo: Mary Alexander, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Cape Town, Western Cape province: The lighthouse at Cape Point. Photo: Mary Alexander, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Cape Town, Western Cape province: The Victoria and Albert Waterfront is a shopping and entertainment complex set in a working harbour. Photo: Mary Alexander, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Cape Town, Western Cape province: A view of Table Mountain from the ferry to Robben Island. Photo: Mary Alexander, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Cape Town, Western Cape province: A guard tower on Robben Island, once an infamous jail for political prisoners, most notably Nelson Mandela.Photo: Mary Alexander, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Cape Town, Western Cape province: The manor house at Groot Constantia, one of the oldest wine farms in the Cape winelands. Photo: Mary Alexander, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image Cape Town, Western Cape province: The manor house at Groot Constantia, one of the oldest wine farms in the Cape winelands. Photo: Mary Alexander, MediaClubSouthAfrica.com » Download high-res image TOURISM AND LEISURE 8:{loadposition tourism}Having trouble downloading high-resolution images? Queries about the image library? Email Janine Erasmus at janinee@mediaclubsouthafrica.com.last_img read more

South African tourism industry upbeat

first_img30 January 2013South Africa’s tourism industry is showing signs of a return to “business as usual”, or slightly better than usual, following a couple of very tough years, judging by the latest Tourism Business Index from the Tourism Business Council of South Africa (TBCSA) and FNB.According to consultancy Grant Thornton, who compile the index, the results for the last quarter of 2012 “confirm a return to normal trading levels and an overall positive outlook for the travel and tourism sector in 2013”.The index came in at 104.6 for the fourth quarter, up on 101.1 in the third quarter – a huge improvement on the 87.3 scored in the fourth quarter of 2011. The forecast for the first quarter of 2013 is 102.4. A score of 100 is considered normal.Speaking at the release of the index in Johannesburg last week, TBCSA board chairman Mavuso Msimang said performance levels above the norm for two quarters running was “a clear indication of the extent to which business is recovering from the recessionary impacts and excess of supply it suffered post the 2010 Soccer World Cup”.The sector’s resilience and ongoing long-term potential shows through in the business and investor confidence for capacity and employment increases, according to Grant Thornton.However, in spite of the return to regular trading levels and the positive outlook, a number of factors remain a concern.“Global economic uncertainty and ongoing recession risk, coupled with the negative profiling of South Africa internationally through labour and community unrest, weighs heavily as a constraint for the sector,” said Gillian Saunders, Grant Thornton’s head of advisory services.“Input cost increases from rates, electricity and fuel costs were also cited as negative factors affecting business performance,” she added.Wiza Nyondo, FNB’s head of tourism, said the results showde that “the market has begun to recognise South Africa as a sought after destination.“Although we’ve seen some instability, we still believe in South Africa’s diverse offering of services and products where industry professionals can partner to help transform our country,” Nyondo said.According to the survey, the majority of accommodation sector respondents expect domestic business markets to offer the best potential growth for 2013, followed by foreign leisure and then domestic leisure. Other tourism businesses expect growth to come from foreign leisure markets, followed by domestic markets.SAinfo reporterlast_img read more

USS Joins Forces with Nedap Retail to Expand EAS Offerings in North America

first_imgUSS, a provider of in product protection, security services and solutions, and Nedap, providers of loss prevention and stock management technology for the retail industry, have announced a strategic North American partnership. Together, the two companies will offer a complete spectrum of Electronic Article Surveillance (EAS) products, including radio frequency (RF) systems and RFID applications.“Currently, the North American retail market lacks EAS variety and many customers are faced with one-size-fits-all options when it comes to EAS systems, especially in the RF segment,” said Doug McHose, President of USS.  “Nedap’s quality hardware, advanced analytics suite, and exceptional design – in combination with USS’ innovative technologies and RFID expertise – will provide customers with a complete EAS solution that is more tailored and customized to each customers’ unique needs.”“For a quarter of a century, Nedap has pioneered the best EAS systems in the world. At the same time, USS has earned a reputation as a leader in RFID and technology innovation and quality solutions for retailers,” said Patrick O’Leary, vice president and general manager of the Americas for Nedap Retail. “This partnership will provide retailers access to more sophisticated technology solutions, enhanced customer service and additional options within the market.”- Sponsor – Stay UpdatedGet critical information for loss prevention professionals, security and retail management delivered right to your inbox.  Sign up nowlast_img read more

Police in Quebec make more than 60 Hells Angelsrelated arrests

first_imgMONTREAL – A Montreal-area police officer is among more than 60 people arrested in a wide-ranging crackdown on the Hells Angels and their associates for alleged drug-related activities.Provincial police say they’ve dismantled three narcotics sales networks from the leadership right down to the distributors.They estimate the networks had made $10 million over eight months trafficking cocaine and synthetic drugs.Some of the accused are also charged with fentanyl and cannabis trafficking.Police say all of those arrested were either members or associates of the biker gang with the exception of a municipal police officer from Repentigny who allegedly acted as a courier for the Hells members.As many as 16 other people are being sought after raids conducted in more than 20 municipalities in Quebec and New Brunswick.Authorities say those targeted in the raids included the four bosses who allegedly oversaw three different Hells chapters.Tuesday’s arrests followed raids that took place in January and February.last_img read more

Wilfully and recklessly Human rights tribunal awards compensation for First Nation children

first_imgAPTN NewsThe Canadian Human Rights Tribunal has ordered Canada to pay compensation to First Nation children, youth and families who were taken from their homes on reserve and put in care of the state.“This ruling is dedicated to all the First Nations children, their families and communities who were harmed by the unnecessary removal of children from your homes and communities,” the ruling says.In the ruling issued Friday, the tribunal awarded $40,000 to each child who was taken from their parents for reasons other than sexual, physical or psychological abuse.Under the Human Rights Act, the tribunal panel of chair Sophie Marchildon and Edward Lustig were allowed to award a maximum of $20,000 per victim.They could add another $20,000 if the discrimination was found to be wilful and reckless.“The Panel finds that it has sufficient evidence to find that Canada’s conduct was wilful and reckless resulting in what we have referred to as the worst-case scenario under our Act,” the ruling says.“This case of racial discrimination is one of the worst possible cases warranting the maximum awards.”According to the report, there are between 40,000 and 80,000 on reserve children who were made wards of the state between 2006 and 2017.Each child would receive compensation – along with their parents or grandparents – at a figure yet to be fully determined.The total compensation package, unless challenged by Canada, will reach into the billions of dollars.“The Tribunal’s finding that Canada wilfully and recklessly discriminated against First Nations children demonstrates how little Canada learned from the residential school and the 60’s scoop apologies and class actions,” said Cindy Blackstock, executive director of the First Nations Child and Family Caring Society (FNCFCS).“They knew better and did not do better resulting in tragedy for another generation of First Nations children, families and Nations.”According to the ruling, a number of factors play into who is eligible for compensation.Children living on reserve or in the Yukon, and taken into care unnecessarily, were removed from their homes on reserve due to abuse but were placed outside their extended families or communities and thus did not benefit from least disruptive measures, or as a result of a gap, delay and/or denial of services, and was placed in care outside of their home, family and community in order to receive those services.The panel is also ordering full compensation for parents and grandparents who were caring for a child who was unnecessarily removed.“No amount of compensation can ever recover what you have lost, the scars that are left on your souls or the suffering that you have gone through as a result of racism, colonial practices and discrimination,” wrote the tribunal. “This is the truth.”The case against the government was filed with the Tribunal in 2007 by the FNCFCS and Assembly of First Nations (AFN).The two groups argued that Canada discriminated against First Nation children in care by not funding child welfare services to the same level as children living off reserve.In 2016 the Tribunal agreed and ordered Canada to stop it’s discriminatory practices and followed up with several warnings.The issue of compensation was fought by government lawyers who argued, among other things, that the tribunal didn’t evidence from any victims in order to gauge the amount of harm done in order to put a price on that harm.The government says it’s reviewing the ruling.“We want to ensure that, first and foremost, we continue to place the best interests of the child at the forefront,” Kevin Deagle, policy advisor for Indigenous Services Minister Seamus O’Regan, said in an email.“Our government is committed to seeing the unmet and longstanding needs of First Nations, Inuit, and Métis children met.“Our government is committed to closing socioeconomic gaps, and that’s why we’ve invested $21.4 billion in Indigenous housing, education, healthcare, infrastructure, and clean water– all key elements in improving the lives of Indigenous children.”The government also outlined in the email it has put investments into First Nations child welfare including $1.2 billion since 2016, and introduced Bill C-92 – a law that, while flawed, will revamp the First Nations, Metis and Inuit child welfare system.Canada has 30 days to appeal the ruling.But the tribunal’s ruling has more to do with what the government hasn’t done over time, rather than what it’s doing today.“In British Columbia, I have witnessed the harm to First Nations children and families caused by removing children when supports in their homes, families and communities should have been considered or improved,” said Grand Chief Stewart Phillip, President of the Union of BC Indian Chiefs, in a statement to media.“The Tribunal found massive systemic discrimination and said it was willful and reckless on the part of the Government of Canada. This is something we have known in our own families and communities for a long time.”The government, FNCFCS and the AFN have until Dec. 10 to work out a process to identify, and then distribute the compensation to those who are eligible.news@aptn.ca@aptnnewslast_img read more